Join DIALOG’s Pauline Thimm, Associate, architect, and higher education leader, as she joins a panel to discuss evolving commuter campuses to build more resilient communities through student housing at the annual SCUP Conference on Tuesday, August 1, 2023, in Cleveland, Ohio.
Date: Tuesday, August 1, 2023
Time: 9:50 a.m. ET
Location: Cleveland Convention Center, Ohio
Click HERE to register for the event.
Evolving the Commuter Campus to Build Resilient Communities
Housing availability improves equitable access to education, provides opportunity to create welcoming spaces for indigenous and marginalized students, and fosters wellbeing for the campus community.
In the face of a housing supply crisis, three commuter-only institutions brought housing to campus for the first time and shifted to a 24-hour campus community through a process that prioritized diversity, equity, and inclusion.
In the session, you will hear from three diverse institutional perspectives and gain applicable lessons learned on the social, cultural, environmental, economic, and political considerations for creating a new campus identity and operations model.
- Leverage integrated, collaborative, equity-based planning processes through diverse stakeholder engagement to implement a shift in campus identity and determine potential campus-scale barriers and opportunities relating to inclusion and wellbeing.
- Incorporate tools to identify health and holistic community wellbeing opportunities for building resilient campus communities.
- Evaluate methods for resolving real and perceived issues that arise from the introduction of housing and a 24/7 campus environment for campus operations.
- Demonstrate innovative opportunities for mixed use residential projects to help campuses reach sustainability, climate action, and environmental health goals.
- Ryan Blades, Director, Facilities and Campus Planning, Capilano University
- Colin Fowler, Vice-President, Finance and College Services, North Island College
- Nicole Kemp, Director, Campus Planning & Capital Projects, Camosun College
- Pauline Thimm, Associate, architect, and higher education leader, DIALOG
About SCUP Conference
Higher education leaders from across the country and across campuses will come together to share their best integrated planning strategies – leading the way to a path of student success and a bright future for higher education. The conference invites industry experts and education leaders to join workshops, networking opportunities, keynote sessions, and tours, for two days at Cleveland Convention Centre.
To learn more about SCUP 2023, visit scup.org.